ACCESSIBILITY – AA STANDARD
This accessibility statement applies to the website for Wigan & Leigh College and Leigh College including mobile responsive versions of these websites.
We have made our website as accessible and usable as possible. We've done this by working with Recite Me to provide Accessibility + Language Options to improve your experience on our website.
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
HERE YOU WILL FIND A GUIDE TO USING ALL OF THE FEATURES ON THE RECITE ME TOOLBAR, AS WELL AS KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS AND FAQS.
- Back: Rewind to the previous paragraph of text
- Play: Click the Play button to read the text aloud
- Forward: Skip forward to the next paragraph of text
- Download Audio: Highlight the text then click the button to download text as an audio file
This feature may be helpful to people who are blind, have low vision, are neurodivergent, or who find audio more accessible than reading.
- Decrease: This will decrease the text size
- Font: You can change the font that displays on the page
- Increase: This will increase the text size
- Colour: Change the background, text and link colours
- Text Mode: Remove images and view in plain text mode
Change the way our website looks to better access its content. This feature may be helpful to people who have dyslexia, low vision, or an intellectual or developmental disability.
Reading Assistance Tools
- Ruler: Read line-by-line without distractions from text below
- Screen Mask: Will create a letterbox for focused viewing of a section of the page
- Magnifying glass: Zoom in to sections by hovering over them
- Margin: Position content in the best place for you when in text only mode
Use these tools to make reading online content easier.
Dictionary & Translation
- Dictionary: Highlight and click on this to find the definition of the word
- Language: Translate text into a different language with 100 different languages, and can use the text-to-speech feature in 35 different languages
- Settings: Adjust your Recite settings
- Reset: This will restore the default settings
- User Guide: Will give you an overview of the Recite Me Toolbar Features
Feedback and Contact Information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF or Braille, contact email@example.com or call 01942 761600.
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 10 working days.
If you cannot view the map on our ‘contact us’ page, call or email us for directions.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will always do what we can to make our site easier for everyone to use.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’).If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Services (EASS) (https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com).
Technical Information about this website’s accessibility
Wigan & Leigh College is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is fully compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/) AA standard.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
Q: Do I need to download anything to enable Recite Me?
A: No. Recite Me is cloud-based software so there is no need to install anything on your computer.
Q: How do I launch the Recite Me Tool Bar?
A: To Launch the Recite Me Web accessibility toolbar you will need to click on the Recite Me button. This will then launch the tool bar, which will appear at the top of the page.
Q: How Do I Disable the Auto Read?
A: To disable the auto read you need to click on the button marked "Settings". This will give you a list of 3 functions to choose from. You need to click on the bottom to the Right of the option marked "Autoplay" this will then disable auto read.
Q: Does Recite Me work across different operating systems and mobile devices?
A: Yes, Recite Me software works on multiple devices and operating systems including Android, iOS, Linux, Mac and Windows devices.
Q: Can I save my Settings?
A: Yes. Once a user creates an account they can save their settings so your website appears exactly as they need it every time they visit.
Q: How do I change the Language?
A: To change the language of the website that you are viewing you need to select the button marked "Languages". This will then produce a drop down list of all the languages that Recite offers translation too. Find the language that you want from the list and press on it, the site will then be converted to that language.
Q: How do I create and MP3?
A: To create and MP3 first turn of the Autoplay option located within the setting button. Highlight the section of Text that you wish to create into an MP3. Once highlighted, select the MP3 button from the toolbar. You will then see a message telling you that you file is being created. Once created, you will see the file appear ready at the bottom of the web page. You can now either listen to the file created or save it to a location of your choice.
Q: How do I Turn Recite Off?
A: To Close the Recite toolbar simply click on the icon marked "Close" to the right of the Toolbar.
- Tab to move to the next toolbar button.
- Shift+Tab to go backwards
- Spacebar to select a button and to change toggles
- ctrl+right - play next element
- ctrl+left - Play previous element
- ctrl+alt+p - play the current element
- ctrl+alt+f - show font menu
- ctrl+alt+c - show theme menu
- ctrl+r - Enable/Disable ruler
- ctrl+d - Enable/Disable dictionary
- ctrl+l - Show translation languages
- ctrl+x - Enable/Disable text-only mode
- ctrl+m - Show page margin settings
- ctrl+shift+o - Show/Disable settings menu
- ctrl+s - Save settings
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 21 September 2020.It was last reviewed on 21 September 2020.
The website was last tested on 15 September 2020.The test was carried out by Wigan & Leigh College.
We used this approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test:-
All of the pages within the About Me, Our Facilities, Centres of Excellence, Events, Services for Students, Governing Board, Parents and News sections of the College website.
A sample of 5 pages within the sections ’16-18 Full Time Courses’, ‘Adults’, ‘University Centre’ and ‘Apprenticeship’ sections
Each page was tested to ensure that colours, contrast levels and fonts were able to be changed, text could be increased, navigation and screen reader accessibility, video subtitles in place and line spacing can be modified.